With innovations and inventions in technology, we can now streamline and upgrade our home environments as well. Smart thermostats help us cut back on the time and energy spent on heating and cooling our homes.
Let’s take a look at the best ones on the market. Belo that we explain what smart thermostats are and why you should get one for your house.
- Ecobee SmartThermostat
- Google T3007ES Nest Learning Thermostat
- Google Nest Thermostat E
- Honeywell Home T5
- Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004
- Emerson Sensi ST55
Reviews of Best Smart Thermostat for Large Home
We have compiled a list of the 7 best smart thermostats on the market. They each have their pros and cons so we recommended you read the entire list before deciding.
Ecobee Smart Thermostat with Voice Control
This smart thermostat from Ecobee is the best one on the market right now. It was awarded “The Best Smart Thermostat” by Tom’s Guide.
It makes use of multiple sensors in each room to detect whether you are present in the room or not and adjusts the temperature based on occupancy. This helps you cut down on energy bills, making this Ecobee product a sustainable and energy-efficient alternative to conventional thermostats.
- Smart Sensor: Multiple sensors in each room to detect whether it is occupied or not. This will enable the thermostat to cool only the occupied rooms and turn off the HVAC system in the empty rooms.
- Alexa Built In: With the built-in smart home system you don’t need to invest in another system. You can control the thermostat with the help of Alexa. You can even use Alexa for other tasks like weather, music and calling.
- Voice Control: This thermostat comes with a voice control feature. This makes it easier to control your thermostat as you don’t even have to make use of the app or a remote to change the settings. You can simply change the settings with your voice.
- Supports Multiple Smart Home Systems: Apart from Amazon Alexa which is a built-in feature, this device also supports Google Assistant, Apple Home Kit, Samsung SmartThings and IFTTT.
Google T3007ES Nest Learning Thermostat
This device from Nest is a learning thermostat that helps you save energy by learning your routines and adjusting temperatures based on your lifestyle. Apart from the financial and environmental benefits, its sleek and stylish design also makes this thermostat a visually appealing option.
- Learning Thermostat: Its software learns your schedule and your preferred temperature settings to adapt itself to your lifestyle. This saves energy and creates a comfy environment at home.
- Home/Away Assist: It comes with sensors that detect whether you are home or not. If the house is vacant, the thermostat will shift to Eco Temperature mode to reduce the wastage of energy.
- Energy History: You can check your consumption history either on the thermostat’s display or on your phone.
- Nest Leaf Indicator: A leaf symbol that indicates the most energy-efficient or energy-saving temperature.
- Farsight: It has a high-resolution color display that lights up and makes the time, temperature or weather being displayed more visible.
- Easy to Install: This device is compatible with 95% of cooling systems.
- Voice Controlled: This device is compatible with Google Assistant as well as Amazon Alexa, making it easy to engage voice controls to change the settings.
Google Nest Thermostat E
This device is a more affordable variant of the 3rd Generation Nest Learning Thermostat. It is made of plastic and is not as versatile as the high-end version when it comes to compatibility with different types of HVAC systems. But apart from this, it has almost all the other features of its pricier counterpart.
- Nest Leaf: A leaf appears on the display whenever you choose the most energy-efficient temperature. This helps you keep track of the best settings in each environment.
- Voice Control: This device is compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and other smart speakers that let you adjust the settings using your voice.
- Home/Away Assist: The sensors on this device detect occupancy of a room and turn the device down if the room is empty. It automatically switches to Eco Temperature mode to save energy when you’re away.
- Remote Access: The temperature can be adjusted using phones, laptops or tablets from any location.
- Easy To Use: This device is compatible with almost 85% of HVAC systems.
- Frosted Display: This device has a frosted display design that helps the thermostat blend into the walls.
Honeywell Home T5
This smart thermostat is a device that is practical and efficient. It doesn’t come equipped with all the fancy features that high-end devices offer, but it does the job well.
It is also more affordable than other options.
- Compatible with a Lot of Smart Home Systems: Honeywell Hoe T5 can be paired with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Smart Response: This is a learning thermostat that adjusts its temperature according to your lifestyle and preferences.
- Alerts: The device sends out alerts for maintenance and repair of equipment like changing air filters. It also lets you know when the temperature is too high or low.
- Auto Home/Away: Uses geofencing technology to detect whether you are home or not and adjusts the temperature accordingly. This helps cut down energy consumption when the house is empty.
- Compatible with Most HVAC Systems: This device can be paired with most single-stage and multi-stage HVAC systems.
Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004
This touchscreen smart thermostat is easy to navigate. Over and above all its technical features, this device even lets you customize the display to your decor, making the thermostat blend in easily with its environment.
- Customizable Display: The color of the touch screen display can be changed to match your room decor.
- Flexible Programming: This device lets you program the device according to your schedule. This can be changed depending on your schedule on weekdays as well as weekends.
- Easy to Control: It can be controlled using your voice as well as using remote controls on the Honeywell Home app or the Total Connect Comfort app.
- Compatible with Multiple Smart Home Systems: This device can be paired with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana and more.
- Weather at a Glance: The daily weather forecast is displayed on the thermostat screen. The display also shows the indoor and outdoor humidity levels.
Emerson Sensi ST55
This device comes with a 7-day flexible scheduling option and motion sensors that allow the thermostat to detect the presence of people and adjust temperatures, this helps save a lot of energy and money. The added advantage is that this device is compatible with most HVAC systems and smart home devices.
- Energy Star Certified: It has been certified that this thermostat helps save about 23% on HVAC energy.
- Geofencing: The device can sense whether you are home or not based on your GPS location, This enables the thermostat to avoid misuse of energy by shutting down the HVAC system when you are not at home.
- Extensive Compatibility with HVAC systems: In most cases, it works with wires that you already have. Except for heat only, cool only, and heat pump systems you don’t need to install any additional C-wire.
- Smart Home Compatible: This thermostat is compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Samsung SmartThings. In order to pair the device with Apple HomeKit, you will need to install a C-wire.
- Usage Reports: The thermostat app installed on your internet-connected device helps you monitor the energy consumption of your HVAC systems. It gives you the history of heating and cooling runtimes daily. The app also measures humidity levels.
- Remote Access: You can program and control your thermostat from any location with the help of your smartphone, laptop or tablet.
Emerson Sensi Touch ST75
The device’s many features like flexible scheduling, geofencing and remote access help save about 23% on HVAC energy making it a highly energy-efficient option. Apart from the hassle of installing a C-wire, it packs a lot of features and is very compatible with different smart home as well as HVAC systems.
- Smart Home Compatible: Can be paired with a lot of smart home systems including Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit and Samsung SmartThings.
- Provides Usage Reports: You can find the history of energy consumption as well as daily usage reports on the Sensi mobile app.
- Geofencing: Enables the device to adjust temperatures based on your location. Geofencing makes use of GPS technology to find out whether you are home or not.
- Compatibility Requires C-Wire: With this particular thermostat, you need to install a C-wire with all types of HVAC systems.
- Remote Access: It can be controlled remotely from any location by using an internet-connected device like a smartphone, laptop or tablet.
What Is a Smart Thermostat?
Smart thermostats are devices that can be connected to the internet and used to control heating, ventilation and air conditioning in your homes. It can be considered an improved version of the programmable thermostat.
Unlike the programmable thermostats which depend on human intervention to program the temperatures into the device, smart thermostats contain sensors that use smart computers to program the device. The reduced human interference makes them more energy efficient and helps save energy.
Smart thermostats can be controlled using laptops, smartphones and other internet-connected devices. These devices can also be incorporated into home automation systems.
Smart thermostats come with a lot of additional features depending on the model you own. Apart from scheduling desired temperatures, these devices can learn your preferred temperature settings and adjust them to suit your lifestyle.
Some models can detect problems in your ducts or HVAC systems. They can even give alerts and reminders to conduct regular system maintenance and to change air filters. Most smart thermostats also track details of energy consumption using mobile apps.
Types of Smart Thermostats for Large Homes
They work only when connected to the internet. Connected thermostats combine thermometers and Wi-Fi to make controlling your HVAC systems easier. These variants don’t provide any analytic information, they just enable remote access to your HVAC system.
These thermostats learn your behavior as well as schedule and adjust temperatures accordingly. They preheat or pre-cool your home automatically based on your routines. These thermostats can also adjust settings based on the changing lifestyle of the resident.
Geofencing technology is employed by the smart thermostat to detect whether you are in the vicinity of your home. The heating or cooling is switched on or off based on this location.
Zoned smart thermostat systems let you control the temperatures of individual rooms. This enables you to save energy by heating or cooling only the rooms that are occupied.
These thermostats are a combination of learning and zoned systems. It customizes cooling in different rooms and also learns your lifestyle and preferences to provide a more comfortable environment inside your home.
These can be more energy efficient than other options as it detects presence and absence as well as routines of the resident.
Requirements for Installing a Smart Thermostat
Professional to Ensure Proper Installation
A common wire (C-wire) constantly supplies power to the smart thermostat. Some smart thermostats require you to install a C-wire to make it compatible with the existing HVAC system in your house. This is not a DIY job and requires professional help.
A smart device makes use of the internet to connect to several devices. So a wireless internet system is essential for a smart thermostat to make use of all of its features and function efficiently.
Smart thermostats need to be paired with smartphones, tablets, laptops or smart home devices.
These thermostats usually come with a free-to-download app developed by the thermostat manufacturer. This app provides remote access to the system and is one of the most useful features of a smart thermostat.
Compatibility with Smart Home Systems
Always ensure that the smart thermostat you get is compatible with the existing smart home system or the system that you intend to buy later. Some thermostats even come with built-in smart home systems now.
Things to Keep in Mind When Buying Smart Thermostats
It was found that people do not know how to correctly program a programmable thermostat which ended up costing them more in terms of energy consumption, defeating the purpose of the innovation.
Smart thermostats are an advanced version of the programmable thermostat as they make use of smart computing to schedule the heating and cooling settings. They do not depend on humans to program the device properly but rather use sensors to program itself, thereby making its power consumption more efficient.
Packs Multiple Features
Most smart thermostats offer a variety of climate control options. They can learn and adapt to your lifestyle, detect if a room is empty or not, customize and control the temperature in individual rooms and even alert you if the system malfunctions or when it’s time for repair and maintenance.
Even though it packs a ton of features the device is easy to operate. It can be operated through the mobile app or it can even be controlled using voice commands given to the smart home device.
Breach of Internet Security
Every coin has two sides including your smart thermostat. Since the device is connected to the internet it can be attacked by hackers. This can affect your security and that of your neighborhood as well.
But for a hacker to gain access they would physically need to tamper with your system before gaining control remotely. Therefore, the chances of a brand new smart thermostat being hacked are very low. However, preowned systems can be prone to such attacks.
With changes and innovations in technology, we need to update the way we heat and cool our homes as well. Smart thermostats help us adapt to the changing times, by addressing the need of the hour which is energy conservation.
You might also enjoy: