Over the years, people have started to become aware of what they put into their bodies, leading to the rise of dairy-free products like almond milk. But, contrary to popular belief, almond milk does not taste like almonds!
In reality, almond milk has a similar taste to mild and sweet dairy milk. However, the flavor of almond milk is largely dependent on what it is being packaged as. For instance, if it contains added sugar, it’s going to be sweet. If it’s chocolate flavored, it’s going to taste a lot like chocolate milk.
Similarly, you can experience the almond milk flavor’s true nutty and creamy flavor sensation with unsweetened almond milk.
What is Almond Milk?
Almond milk is an alternative to plain milk. As it is dairy-free, it is best suited for people with dairy allergies or lactose intolerances. Almond milk is available in a variety of flavors in the local market.
This milk is also easy to prepare at home. For homemade almond milk, soak almonds overnight and blend them with fresh water. Strain the blended mixture to remove any pulp. You can add salt or sweetener to it.
Preserved almond milk has stabilizers and preservatives added to increase its longevity. You can bring variation to your almond milk by adding maple syrup or cocoa powder. Almond milk is beneficial for health because of the many nutrients that it provides the body.
America is the largest producer of almond milk, while Blue Diamond Growers is the largest California-based producer of almond milk.
If it’s going to be your first time trying almond milk, always look for the following things:
• Unsweetened flavors: Too much sugar is not good for health, so unsweetened almonds should be your top priority.
• Enriched nutrients: Look for the brands that have Calcium, and vitamins A, D, E, and K.
• Shortest Ingredients: When purchasing almond milk, it is best to look for the least amounts of ingredients.
• Carrageen Free: It is a potentially inflammatory ingredient added to exceed the shelf life.
How to store Almond milk
Commercially available almond milk is pasteurized to increase the shelf life of the milk. You should consume the opened pack within seven days.
You can store an unopened carton of almond milk at room temperature. However, we recommended always keeping the opened pack in a cold place.
On the other hand, Homemade almond milk can last for 7 to 10 days in a refrigerator.
How do you know if Almond milk has gone bad
If you have opened the bottle of almond milk and are unsure whether or not it is rotten, you should probably smell it. It’s definitely bad if it smells funky or sour.
Another indication is if the almond milk has a sour taste and thick texture. Usually, spoiled Almond milk has clumps. If you notice any form of clumps, it is not safe to use and should be discarded immediately.
Dishes with Almond milk
Following are the dishes that you can try with Almond milk:
• Whole oat groats with cherries, plums, and homemade almond milk: Take two cups of boiled water, drain and rinse oats in it. Cook it for 20 minutes and add figs with almond milk. Let it cook for several minutes until the figs are dissolved. Top it with cherries and plums.
• Mango milkshake: Add chopped mangoes, almond milk, ice cubes, and sugar in a blender jar. Blend it and add mango ice cream.
• Almond milk Smoothie: Add banana, sweetened vanilla almond milk, and ice cubes. Blend the ingredients and add cinnamon. Blend it again until it gets thicken. Serve it chilled.
You might also enjoy: