Goose is a lump of underrated meat that unfortunately has no recognition in some parts of the world. While in other parts, the goose is appreciated for its distinct taste. The taste of goose is a combination of duck meat, chicken, and beef. It has a very close resemblance with beef in taste, but it is much more tender.
In comparison with chicken, the goose is much more flavorful. When making a direct contrast, goose in terms of flavor outweighs the darkest parts of chicken meat.
What is a Goose
Geese are loud birds. They attack humans and other animals to protect themselves. Goose belongs to the Waterfowl species. It is a female bird, and its male pair is called Gander.
Goose is a great source of nutrients as it has a higher proportion of proteins, vitamins, and Glycine. There are mainly two varieties of goose:
- The wild variation: The wild variety of geese has been deemed a luxury because hunting for it is not the easiest task. The taste of wild Geese is a bit different from other variants. As it is a game bird, you should cook it in its natural form.
- Domesticated Geese: It is believed that Geese was the first species of waterfowl used for domestication purposes. They are kept at a poultry farm for their eggs and meat. The most common domestic geese are Greylag Geese and Swan Geese. Domestication of Geese started in Egypt. However, geese were not exploited for commercial purposes until much later.
Hunting for geese is a luxurious activity. Geese are mostly hunted in winters, as the waterfowl cannot survive in deserts and dry climates.
How to store goose
To store a Goose, clean it properly. Once it is cleaned completely, put it on a tray, cover it with foil paper, and refrigerate it. It is important to keep it on the bottom shelf so the juices will not contaminate the other food kept in the refrigerator.
If you plan to use the Goose meat within two days, keep it below 40 F. If you want to store it for a longer period, freeze it. Frozen Goose meat can last for six months.
How do you know if goose has gone bad
When you buy Goose meat, always check the meat as it should not have cuts, lesions, and bruises. If you are unsure about the meat, check the color of the meat.
The original color of Goose meat is darker than chicken, but if the color changes to gray or yellowish-green, then it is not safe to eat.
The fresh Goose meat will not be slimy. However, if the surface feels slimy and wet, discard it. Lastly, check the smell as rotten meat has an unpleasant smell.
Dishes with Goose
You can try the following dishes with Goose meat:
- Gardon’s Christmas Roast Goose: Roast the Goose meat with Parsley, Thyme, Sage, and other spices. Then, stuff the goose with tested fruit and parsley. Cook it for 30mins until it is completely done.
- Goose breast recipe: Serve Goose with kale, Cranberry relish, and Sausage rolls.
- Glazed Roast Goose, citrus, swede, and friends: Roast the Goose and vegetables on a tray and serve it hot. Place the goose in the middle of the tray, pour the sauce, and put mango slices on the perimeter of the dish.
You might also enjoy: