Hummus has a rich, creamy texture, and the flavor is often boosted with olive oil and spices. The spread is made of chickpeas that have a high portion of protons and other nutrients.
Hummus has a rich taste of garlic and can be paired with many dishes. It is used in Middle Eastern cuisines and North African Cuisines. In addition, hummus has a blended taste of chickpeas and can be served alone with Khubuz.
It’s a healthy source of diet for vegetarians as it has a complete portion of nutrients. When making hummus, keep in mind that it should have a creamy texture and subtle taste. Also, you should add every ingredient in equal amounts, so none of the spices stand out more than others.
What is hummus
Hummus is a spread made from chickpeas. The process of making hummus involves soaking chickpeas overnight. The softened chickpeas are then put in the blender to make a smooth paste. After that, fresh garlic and lemon juice are added for a richer flavor overall.
All the ingredients are blended and mixed with sesame seeds paste called Tahini. Later, olive oil is added to make the soft creamy texture of hummus. Olive oil is also drizzled on the top of hummus when it is served.
People can change the ingredients according to their preference; you can also add pulses in place of chickpeas. Depending upon the ingredients, you can make hummus in different ways.
This dish is imported from the West and is eaten in all different parts of the world. There are several types of hummus; some of them are mentioned below:
- Classic hummus
- Roasted garlic hummus
- Rosemary hummus
- Mediterranean style hummus
- Olive hummus
- Black beans hummus
- Dill pickle hummus
How to store hummus
Hummus can stay fresh in a refrigerator set below 40 degrees. However, it should be kept in a tightly closed box when storing, and there shouldn’t be any moisture inside it.
Homemade hummus can last for about 3-5 days in a refrigerator. The packed hummus can last for about 4-6 days in a refrigerator. If you’re planning to store it for more than 4 to 6 days, you should freeze it. Frozen hummus can last for 6-8 months.
How to tell if hummus has gone bad
Your nose is a reliable organ when it comes to judging if your food has gone bad. For example, rotten hummus has a sour smell, whereas fresh hummus has no smell unless there’s garlic added.
If hummus smells sour, that means it will probably taste sour as well. After hummus gets sour, it starts to mold. It is recommended to keep preserved hummus only for five days because it loses its original taste after that.
Dishes with Hummus
Dishes that you can make with hummus are:
- Hummus beef burger – a beef patty is added with tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumber on a bun. Instead of using other sauces, add hummus and enjoy your meal.
- Hummus sesame noodles – thin out hummus by adding chicken broth and vinegar. Once the paste is made, add spaghetti and cook it for a few minutes.
- Mediterranean chicken salad: Mix hummus with yogurt and season it with lemon juice. Put parsley and sliced olives on it.
- Hummus flatbread pizza with Greek salad: Bake pita bread with olive oil and spread hummus. Next, add sliced tomatoes, olives, onion, virgin oil, salt, pepper, and cucumber on the serving tray. Serve it with hummus.
You might also enjoy: