The popular opinion on Quinoa is that it tastes similar to other grains. Quinoa has a creamy and fluffy texture. It also resembles brown rice, but the taste differs as quinoa has a little nutty and earthy flavor.
Dried quinoa is hard and bitter, but as it gets moisturized, it becomes light and chewy. When you eat quinoa for the first time, you will feel the taste individually on your tongue as the cooked seed does not get mushed together like rice.
What is quinoa
quinoa is a seed derived from the plant called chenopodium. It is defined as a grain crop that has edible seeds. Quinoa is assumed to be a cereal grain, but rather it is called pseudo cereal, a term used to describe foods prepared like whole grains.
Due to its superfood qualities, quinoa is also referred to as the ‘Mother of all Grains.’ Quinoa is gluten-free and grows organically. As a result, it is an excellent nutritional base as it has a high portion of fiber, proteins, vitamins, and Iron.
From the past few years, quinoa has gained popularity across the globe. It is now a common side dish served in many restaurants. There are three types of quinoas:
- White Quinoa: White Quinoa has the most subtle flavor. It is found in most grocery stores.
- Red Quinoa: Red Quinoa is rich in taste as compared to others. In looks, it is red and oval.
- Black Quinoa: Black Quinoa has a slightly sweeter taste compared to white Quinoa.
Quinoa crops grow widely in Peru and Bolivia. However, it’s mostly produced in abundance in Ecuador, Colombia, and Argentina.
How do you store Quinoa
Keep uncooked quinoa in an airtight jar in a cool and dry place. Uncooked quinoa can last for up to 1 year.
If you have cooked quinoa, store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it. Refrigerated quinoa can last for five days. If you want to use it after five days, freeze it. Frozen quinoa can last for a month.
How do you know if Quinoa has gone bad
If quinoa is not stored properly, molds can appear on its surface. If you see specks of mold, it is rotten.
It is difficult to know if quinoa has gone bad because there is no change in smell and texture. The favorable way to know is to cook. If quinoa has a bad texture or smell, throw it away immediately.
Dishes with Quinoa
Dishes that you can try with quinoa are as follows:
- Orange Pistachio Quinoa Salad – Cook simple quinoa first. In a large bowl, add beans, mandarin oranges, pistachio, onions, and cooled quinoa. Mix all the ingredients, add lemon juice and orange zest. You can also add seasoning according to your preference.
- Cumin Quinoa Patties – Prepare quinoa first. In a chopper, add carrot, pulse, and beans. Mix the paste with quinoa, green onions, and breadcrumbs. Once the mixture is set, shape it in a patty form and fry it for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve the dish with your own choice of sauce.
- One-pan Mexican Quinoa: Heat oil in a pan and add Jalapeño and Garlic. Stir it for 1 minute. Add quinoa, vegetables, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Allow it to boil and cook for 20 minutes. Top it with lemon juice.
You might also enjoy: